Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Prompt 5

Jordan Greenwell
Mrs. Wilhelmus/ Mrs. Wagener
AP Language
10 August 2013
Philosophy and Me
                When I first heard that we were having a summer project over Sophie’s World and that it would be focusing on philosophy I got excited.  I’ve had a rough background of philosophy and I wanted to learn more about it.  The way that this book shows the ideas of so many different philosophers at so many different time periods in history is pretty astounding.
                One of the philosophers that I liked because of their idea on simple and complex impressions and ideas was David Hume.  He was born in 1711 and later died in 1776.  I thought that the example Alberto used with the angel, a human figure with wings, was an interesting choice.  Alberto says, “So according to Hume, an ‘angel is a complex idea.  It consists of two different experiences which are not in fact related.”
                A philosopher that I did not agree with was Aristotle.  His ideas on women were very wrong to me and would sometimes come off very smug or presumptuous.  H said that men were greater than women because he thought that women were incomplete.  He talked about how women were not an important part of the reproduction process.  He said that they were just the soil and that the men were the sower.

                For wondering where I reside on the rabbit’s fur, I like to be curious about the things I am involved in and new things that I learn, that I also enjoy.  I like to think of myself as a curious person, but I do not always go the extra step or go out of the way, when sometimes I should.  

1 comment:

  1. Good ending thoughts here about the philosophers you agreed with/disagreed with. Some errors in conventions. Hume was one that was less chosen by students, so I think it is awesome that you found his philosophy to be the most intriguing or one you agreed with. 19/20

    ReplyDelete