Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Prompt 1

Jordan Greenwell
Mrs. Wilhelmus/ Mrs. Wagener
AP Language
3 August 2013
The Debate of Life
                In the book Sophie’s World the main character, Sophie Amundsen, receives two letters.  They both have one question written on them.  The questions are, “Who are you?” and “Where does the world come from?”  These questions have been some of the most popular and most talked about topics in the world.
                “Who are you?” is a question that most people know the answer to.  I mean how could one possibly not know who they are?  It sounds silly, but it’s a question that has so many different answers.  When people think of whom you are, they are going to have a different opinion than you do about yourself.  The first thing that I would reply to this question would be by replying with my name and my age.  I am Jordan Louis Greenwell and I am 17 years old.  That’s what most people would give out first when they are being asked who they are, next they would most likely go on about where they are from or what they are like.  I was born and raised here in Evansville, Indiana.  I have two older brothers, both in their 30s and both having two kids.  I am a very blessed and happy uncle to my three nieces and one nephew!  When I am not hanging out with family, I enjoy hanging out with friends.  Outside of family and friends, I am a very devoted tennis player.  I spend anywhere from 10-30 hours a week practicing tennis!  I am the number one player for north and currently 3rd in the city.  That is a rough summary of what I would answer to the question, “Who are you?”
                “Where does the world come from?” is the second question that Sophie was asked.  This question is a much more difficult question than the first.  First of all how would anyone truly know where the world comes from?  No one was there to record what happened.   This question also stirs up the debate between there being a God and there not.  I am a Christian and I believe that there is a God in our universe and that he has always been around.  The way that I believe that he created the world was by the story of god working for six days and resting on the seventh day in the book of Genesis.  For the people that do not believe in a God, the most popular answer would be the Big Bang Theory.  It explains that there was a huge explosion that took place in.  Then, after millions and millions of years the world was created by chance.

                In conclusion, these questions are very complex.  No two people think the same and are very unique.  Everyone will have their different theories, ideas, and opinions.   The only thing that matters though is how you answer these questions.

1 comment:

  1. Your conclusion reflects the ideas that are brought up when we discuss Kant and perspective. Good response. 20/20

    ReplyDelete